A classic dinner dish I make when I’m sick of all the tomato based dishes I’ve been cooking. Yes! Of course I too get sick of the same things! I’m not here to fluff up what I do, I’m here to give you ideas, tips and great easy recipes like this!
When I want something creamy without that overly heavy feel this is my go to – Super simple and you can opt for no cream if you like or also no garlic!
400g diced chicken (thigh or breast – whatever your pick is)
2 leeks sliced
few sprigs of thyme
1 small brown onion diced
large handful of sliced button mushrooms
fat of your choice
OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS – nice to have but not end of the world if you don’t!
1-2 rasher of sliced bacon or pancetta or prosciutto (when I made my last one I didn’t have any)
1-2 garlic clove (lightly crushed and then i fish it out end of the cooking process)
250ml chicken stock (if you’ve got it great not dire!)
dollop of cream
filo pastry or puff pastry – to top and bake the pie but again optional – this makes an excellent dinner for family or friends with a side of green beans and green salad
OH! I had some zucchini in the fridge and I added this to it last round.
- In a large pot over medium high heat in your fat of choice, I like butter for this one, cook onion with a sprinkle of salt, then add mushrooms till brown. Set aside.
- Cook bacon till crispy, set aside, use this same fat to cook the leeks, add in garlic and leeks, cook leeks till translucent then set aside.
- Add fat if needed, cook chicken till it starts to take on some colour, then add onions, mushrooms, leek, thyme, bacon and mix well, add in a dollop of cream. Taste and season with salt and pepper to your desired taste. Fish out that garlic clove and discard.
- Transfer all ingredients to an ovenproof tray or if you’re like me and have a pot that can go in the oven then top with pastry and bake till golden. I do like to brush my pastry with some beaten egg.
- ENJOY! Great with green beans and a green salad.